Friday, February 20, 2009

I am sick of the negativity...literally!

Below is a blog from Sean Swarner. I went to college with Sean at Westminster. He beat cancer twice and has climbed all seven summits. Very incredible things...but my favorite thing about him is what he says below. In these times everyone needs to be thankful for what they have. You may not have as much money...but if you have your health...you have everything!


"I will survive. My cancer will not."
It's always in my face... this whole "cancer thing." People get in touch with me all the time and share their cancer stories. They tell me about their personal struggles with the illness and how difficult they have it, how everyone has it. Every time I get emotional when I read those stories, when I talk to people, and when I visit them in the hospital. One thing that I cannot ever get over, that's absolutely incredible every time I hear from someone I know is battling well... is their Attitude. I can't stress how important attitude is while going through the cancer journey from being sick to well again. It changes your life. I just got an email from a fellow in CA who is battling cancer and read my book, (Keep Climbing). He told me that one line resonated with him more than anything and he started crying when he read it because he was looking for something simple, yet powerful to help him through: "I will survive. My cancer will not." I tell people all the time that cancer is the worst thing that's ever happened to me, but it's also the best thing. It's taught me so much about life and made me realize it's not about having the best cars, the nicest house, the coolest clothing... it's about being true to yourself and doing the best you can every day of your life. You never know when cancer will strike. Make that ANYTHING... you never know when anything can hit you at a moment's notice. It could be cancer, it could be a car accident. Why do people constantly feel the need to prove themselves to others? Why do they always feel like they're not good enough? Why do people worry about stupid things in life when tomorrow might be their last day on earth? It probably won't be, but it could be. There's an old quote about life that goes something like this: "Live every day as though it's your last....because one day it will be." Maybe as we head into the weekend, we should all think about how lucky we are that we have our friends, we have our health, and we have so many things so many aren't fortunate enough to have. Let's all reflect on our lives, do some thinking about how lucky we truly are. Even though our society and our economy isn't exactly the greatest right now, we are all very lucky people and we should rejoice in the simple fact that we're alive.Sean Swarner
Posted by About CancerClimber at 1:59 PM 0 comments

No comments:

Post a Comment